Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Coconut oil

I'm passing on some news about the purported benefits of coconut oil when treating alzheimers, dementia, epilepsy, Parkinsons and schizophrenia.

The video clip states that coconut oil raises the overall cholesterol score, but actually that is because it raises good cholesterol. This is also what niacin (Vitamin B3) does. I had my yearly medical check-up recently and the doctor reported, once again, that my overall cholesterol reading was really high. "But, don't worry," she reassured me. "That's because your good cholesterol is extremely high and it has raised the total score." Dr. Abram Hoffer recommended niacin to his schizophrenia patients and he also said that the vitamin was good in preventing dementia/alzheimers.

Here's the consumer's view of coconut oil. Gianna Kali at Beyond Meds has allowed me to reprint her comment in the main body of this post. I like her idea of using coconut butter as a substitute for peanut butter.

Coconut in general and coconut oil are both foods of the gods...especially if you're eating a grain free diet like I am...it's a great substitute.

I eat coconut flour for baked goods and coconut butter to replace peanut butter and cheese...and yes...it helps as a substitute...totally...I miss cheese and it sort of is like a spread that works...I also make homemade coconut milk since I no longer drink cow's milk and then the coconut oil I use in all sorts of cooking and baking too.

It's a wonderful food all around the coconut...it's high in protein and fiber and the fat is good for your brain and body in general.

I eat tons of saturated fat...both animal and plant (coconut oil is a saturated fat...my cholesterol went DOWN when I stopped eating grains and increased healthy fats...people don't know that grains and carbs is what make cholesterol go up in a lot of people....not fats!! and the grains and carbs will mess with people with blood sugar problems too.

Animal fat needs to be grass fed to be really healthy...in any case both my cholesterol and glucose levels have returned to healthy levels since eating this way.

4 comments:

  1. coconut in general and coconut oil are both foods of the gods...especially if you're eating a grain free diet like I am...it's a great substitute

    I eat coconut flour for baked goods and coconut butter to replace peanut butter and cheese...and yes...it helps as a substitute...totally...I miss cheese and it sort of is like a spread that works...I also make homemade coconut milk since I no longer drink cow's milk

    and then the coconut oil I use in all sorts of cooking and baking too...

    it's a wonderful food all around the coconut...it's high in protein and fiber and the fat is good for your brain and body in general...

    I eat tons of saturated fat...both animal and plant (coconut oil is a saturated fat...my cholesterol went DOWN when I stopped eating grains and increased healthy fats...people don't know that grains and carbs is what make cholesterol go up in a lot of people....not fats!! and the grains and carbs will mess with people with blood sugar problems too.

    animal fat needs to be grass fed to be really healthy...in any case both my cholesterol and glucose levels have returned to healthy levels since eating this way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gianna,
    May I put your comment into the body of my post to give it special attention?
    ...Rossa

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh sure...it's kind of a mess though...I'm not up to fixing it up...feel free to do some simple editing if you'd like...(without changing content) or not...whatever...glad you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  4. more good news about coconut oil...which I pretty much use everyday!! http://www.skynews.com.au/health/article.aspx?id=725630&vId=3102984

    new research shows it may help support brains with dementia/Alzheimer's

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer approving comments. All I ask is that you be respectful of others and refrain from using profanity.