Thursday, March 10, 2011

Weirdly well

Chris phoned me last night from the church. Could I come and pick him up? He wasn't feeling well. I immediately got excited. When I got there and he climbed into the car, I put my hand on his forehead and it felt feverish. This was a good sign. What part of you is sick? I asked him, but not expecting him to really be able to put his finger on it. You see, Chris, to my knowledge, has never been sick. He doesn't have the vocabulary because he has no reference point.

While his middle brother had perpetual ear aches and his youngest brother had an asthma like condition,  Chris has never been sick. Not a toothache, not an ear ache, no vomiting, nothing. He is supernaturally well. Dr. Abram Hoffer observed this abnormal good health in his patients who had been diagnosed with schizophrenia. They were never sick.

When Chris truly lives less in his mind and more in his body, he will get sick like the rest of us, or at least, that's my hope.

By the time we got home, Chris no longer seemed feverish. What he claimed he had was nausea. He went to bed immediately, and was up bright and early this morning as if nothing had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am no longer approving comments. All I ask is that you be respectful of others and refrain from using profanity.