Friday, June 1, 2012

One person's opinion of the lasting effect of maternal deprivation

Today's New York Times Opiniator was written by a man who suffered extensive maternal deprivation at a very early age. Read the entire piece here.

May 31, 2012, 12:00 pm


Fortunate Son

By EMILLIO MESA


But after I was attacked, when she fought for me in the emergency room and then nursed me back to health in her home, that finally changed. Psychologists typically believed that the most important bond between a mother and child occurred during the first three years of life. If a child suffered maternal deprivation, he would be emotionally damaged for life. I don’t think that’s true. Getting mugged was a blessing in disguise. It let my mom and me make up for the time we’d lost. It took 14 months of living with her, but I’d finally come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am no longer approving comments. All I ask is that you be respectful of others and refrain from using profanity.