Friday, June 15, 2012

My op-ed piece at Mad In America

I am pleased to introduce the op-ed piece that I wrote for the Mad in America webzine. Anyone who already follows my blog won't learn anything new - it's my standard schtick - but I would appreciate it if you can circulate the message about the effect of a schizophrenia diagnosis far and wide. My post happily dovetails with the MindFreedom I Got Better campaign which was launched yesterday. Once I examined the diagnosis and rejected it, I found to my delight that my son got better. And, as he got better, I got better. And vice versa.

Holistic Recovery From Schizophrenia: A Mother and Son Journey

Holistic Recovery From Schizophrenia

By Rossa Forbes

June 15, 2012

I am a mother of a son who was given a diagnosis of schizophrenia in December 2003, a son who is doing well today perhaps due to my refusing to buy into the medical model of the so-called “illness.” I wasted a couple of precious years at first because I bought, albeit without much enthusiasm, the costly medical model. I spent the years until now struggling against this model.

Read the rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am no longer approving comments. All I ask is that you be respectful of others and refrain from using profanity.