|Official Washington rallies 'round a cause|
It comes as no surprise that Kennedy has announced the formation of www.moonshot.org
to bring the best minds in neuroscience together to work on the to fight the "stigma" of mental illness by taking the same old tired scientific backscratching approach.
The website has posted a letter to Mr. Kennedy from The Society for Neuroscience (SfN) that makes my holistic heart sink. It's the usual scientific neurobabble about mental illness as a diseased brain, and how SCIENCE is going to tackle a subject where it has continously failed to get even a passing grade.
- Identify critical research areas and gaps in scientific knowledge
- Support the most creative science, both emerging topics and innovative approaches
- Ensure outstanding young scientists are inspired and motivated to continue in research and are free to take risks and innovate
- Establish new partnerships across disciplines that are currently far apart and disconnected
- Enrich the scientific infrastructure by developing new cutting-edge technologies to explore how genes, cells, neural networks and systems operate in the healthy brain and how normal processes are altered in the diseased or injured brain
- Develop and support coordinating mechanisms, helping researchers collaborate, share resources, and exchange ideas and information among different institutions both nationally and internationally
- Remove barriers to new treatments through radically rethinking partnerships between academic laboratories, the pharmaceutical industry, and health care providers
- Ensure a sustained and aggressive national research funding commitment that enables progress on all of the above.
The outcomes of this discredited approach will be: drum roll, please:
- More conferences
- More chance for neuroscientists to network at conferences
- More money thrown at universities to attract young, rigid scientifc minds
- More drugs
- More academic articles
- More funded people to shout down dissent
- Washington galas "to fight the stigma"
- Presidential iniatives "to fight the stigma"
- Little or no progress in overcoming mental illness, because, as you can see, the biochemical model of mental illness is a front for industry.
Washington loves a good stigma buster chance to party and party it will.