Friday, March 26, 2010

Rope climbing

Chris's unwillingness to stretch himself may not be solely related to his taking low doses of meds, I am sad to report. I wish it were that simple. Time and experience has taught me that it is not.

It occurred to me after my long talk with Chris this evening, by which point I was becoming very discouraged by his lack of motivation, that he was also unwilling to stretch himself in the womb. You see, he arrived twenty-seven days overdue. He didn't even poke around a lot while he was in there. You may ask in this day and age, how can that happen? How can it be that he wasn't induced?

He wasn't induced because I felt nature should take its course and my doctor was okay with that. I couldn't imagine forcing a delivery if the baby wasn't ready. We monitored the situation with weekly stress tests at the hospital involving orange juice. Finally, something started happening, and it was a good thing because my obstetrician was just about to drag me in to the hospital. The doctor didn't take vacations as far as I knew (the Chinese tend to be workaholics), otherwise Chris would be a Sagittarian rather than a Capricorn.

Back to my point, which is actually on the topic of risk/reward. Chris is like a rat, who doesn't see cheese as an incentive to climb a rope. He didn't see it then, he doesn't see it now. Somewhere in between he got it. No longer. Current medications are partially responsible, but not entirely.

This is why early on I tried to convince Dr. Stern to refer Chris for other kinds of therapy in conjunction with what she is giving him. Up until now it has been perceived as unhelpful, and maybe disloyal. I have had to deal with Ian, who is against bringing in other therapists in deference to Dr. Stern. I would like to bring in someone to do past life regression, hypnosis, anything that could shed some light on the fetal situation. Chris needs an emotional cracking open which may take reaching back into the pre-birth environment to bring about.

2 comments:

  1. Um, old cheese has serotonin in it, and also tryo-something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting connection you are making! Here's what I got from the Web.

    "Tryptophan, known for its presence in turkey and commonly blamed in the media for creating the sluggish after-meal sensations experienced by many Thanksgiving diners, is a metabolic precursor to the chemical messenger known as serotonin. In addition to turkey, the chemical is found in foods like milk, bread, cheese and bananas. Tryptophan depletion decreases serotonin levels in the brain, which in turn can lead to depression and other problems. While the study is not definitive and does not offer a solid conclusion that eating more tryptophan will enhance memory or mood, it does indicate a possible connection.

    "Experimental lowering of tryptophan, and hence serotonin, appears to impair learning and memory and can cause depressed mood, especially in people who have a family history of depression, Riedel says."

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/11/021119073229.htm

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer approving comments. All I ask is that you be respectful of others and refrain from using profanity.